Monday, July 2, 2012

This is My Adventure


Looking back on the past month brings back so many memories in such a short span of time.  I have accomplished and grown so much in the month I was away.  Through the ups and downs, I have learned more about myself and grown from my experiences.  Now that I am home, I am going to take a look at all the things I accomplished and saw while being abroad. 

The things I miss are endless.  I miss the walk to the beach.  I miss waking up and looking out my window to the ocean beyond.  I miss walking through the barrio (street neighborhood).  I miss the menu del dia.  I miss the internet café where I could order a coffee and get the shakes or a thick cup of hot chocolate.  I miss the breeze of the ocean hitting my face while I tan topless like everyone else and listen to the waves crashing or read my books along the shore.  I miss the mom and pop restaurants that are in abundance along the esplanada.  I miss taking the tram to areas that are too far for my lazy feet to walk.  I miss the supermercado and plaza mar that allowed me to shop and get groceries that I had to carry home.  I miss walking up 6 flights of stairs everyday at least 3 times a day to get to our apartment.  I miss my room and apartment that I had called home.  I miss hanging my laundry in the wind to dry.  I miss the festivities and festivals that Alicante had to offer.  I miss being in an area that was so close to so many other places Europe has to offer.  I miss being stared at for not speaking Spanish or struggling to communicate with the little Spanish I knew.  I miss the lack of technology forcing me to live my life outside these viral walls.  I miss the long nights/early mornings I had with friends from all over the US.  I miss the few good people I met along the way.  I miss the memories I had made while I was there.  I miss the un-rushed feeling Spain provides.  I miss the Fogueres festival and weekly night fireworks.  I miss the many museums that offered art and culture from the past.  I miss the cathedrals and castles that still stand just as magnificent as the day they were built.  I miss the teachers, Yvonne and Anne, who made the trip possible and made my stay enjoyable.  I miss the liveliness of the city and my daily siesta.  I miss walking everywhere and lack of driving laws of Spain.  I miss the friends I made from different colleges.  I miss my roommate, Sam, who kept me sane.  I miss the month I had abroad, but it helped me grow in so many ways.


The things I don’t miss are fewer.  I don’t miss the lack of air conditioning.  I don’t miss the inconvience of interent and phone privliages.  I don’t miss the classes that kept me stuck inside instead of enjoying my vacation.  I don’t miss the heat of the sun and heat beating down on me as I walk from place to place.  I don’t miss the inability to communicate too much.  I don’t miss being away from my puppies, Macaroni and Zoe.  I don’t miss having to pack all my things and saying goodbye to the place I called home.  I don’t miss the hormones of people. 


I’ve learned that I can be independent and travel on my own.  I’ve learned that I love to travel more than anything in the world.  I’ve found myself stronger than ever.  I’ve learned that I can detach from technology.  I’ve learned that I am no longer ignorant and can open my eyes to other cultures.  I’ve learned to appreciate cultures, history, and museums more than life.  I’ve learned who people are and which ones count.  I’ve learned that I would make a horrible child welfare worker…hahahaha J…I’ve learned that Macaroni, Zoe, and my family are wonderful.  I’ve learned that the world has so much to offer and I intend to keep letting the wind blow me in any direction. 

I’ve learned that I have grown from where I was.  Who would have ever thought that I would come this far.  àhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxAGGyrvJ9c&ob=av2e
People look back on their lives and most haven’t accomplished as much as I have in their whole lifetime.  I am so blessed to have had this opportunity.  I hope you all have enjoyed the ride as much as I have.

Until my next adventure begins...

Hasta Luego! Thanks for reading J

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your wonderful blog. And yes, look how far you have come....but look how far you are going....I think, I know this is only the beginning; let the wind blow, my beautiful Cait!

    I'm so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete