Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Welcome to Random


So…a new year and a new goal—random recipe on a random day.  The only stipulation?! It has to be at least once a month, but knowing me J I’m sure you’ll be indulging, at least metaphorically, quite a bit.  It all started with my sister, JP, asking me about her idea of cooking a different loaf of bread each week.  That, my friends, is A LOT of carbs.  So, loving to cook myself she asked if I had any good alternatives.  Obviously, she didn’t take my idea so I stole it back, called dibs, and wrote myself the rights to it.  Now along with the 20 pounds I’ll probably gain from this experience, you can come along and get my peanut gallery commentary as I tackle various recipes for the next year.  That’s at least 12 in total, but I have my eyes on so many, as some may tell by my obsessive “pinning” on Pinterest! J It the organizer of Facebook… :P


Now, on to the good stuff...literally.  This is a recipe that I have made a few times before, but I consider it a good start because it has a few twists that make it new—another rule of mine on this journey: no recipe can be used that I have already made unless altered in some way.  I give “ cu-toes” to SkinnyTaste.com from her lovely recipes that I constantly steal and force upon my family.  The one that follows is what she calls “Chicken and mushrooms in agarlic white wine sauce.” 

The twist I added, or more like the grocery store added since they didn’t have all the necessary ingredients, was to use chicken breast in place of chicken tenderloins.  It’s a pretty big difference, literally, considering the size of a chicken breast versus tenderloin.  Ergo, I decided to cute the breasts in half, but even so they were still larger and therefore, took longer to cook.  Also, it meant a bigger mess for my mom (hahha) to clean.  Some hints for those of you that may try to make this later:
  1. I prefer gluten free flour not only because it is healthier, but it tends to stick better as an outer crust than regular flour.
  2. Breast take a lot longer to cook and are juicier which can cause your flour to get soggy…in Hell’s Kitchen Gordon Ramsey might throw it back at you L
  3. Keep the chicken and sauce separate unless eating right away because the chicken can become soggy from the sauce.
  4. Use a sweeter white wine for a sweeter meal of course and a tart one for a tarter meal…It can enhance or decrease the taste in blandness so don’t skimp on the booze.
  5. Lastly, you can substitute chicken and vegetable broth based on preferences.  I tend to find the vegetable broth to give it a more well-rounded flavor.
 
I know, I know I corrupted my mother into buying wine, but in return I had to cook her favorite meal.  I believe it is an even trade.  Well, it seems pretty simple in this recipe about my thoughts; however, it plays into part that I’ve made it a time or two before.  I did come to the conclusion that I would be a horrible contestant on a cooking show because I become a complete spaz in the kitchen from my impatience of cooking chicken to my inability to handle my multitasking with calmness.  I guess the smell of food does drive me crazy…seems Macaroni got that gene from me hahaha J

Well, until the next time I either have a rough day or am bored senseless you’ll have to experiment with this yourself and let me know if you find any good alterations.

No comments:

Post a Comment