Monday, January 28, 2013

21, Duck, and Wine


Happy Birthday to ME…Happy Birthday to Me…Happy Birthday dear MEEEEE…Happy Birthday to ME!  Well the 21st is always the biggest birthday to look forward to.  I can say it was a little weird to be able to sit at a resturaunt or buy my own bottle of wine.  I bet my family feels old considering I have always been the little Bug or annoying, nagging sister…hahah J

We started the morning off with a light—ya right a nice LONG RUN!  Of course my mom convinced me, easily, to go out to eat so that I could get carded.  We decided on BJ’s Resturaunt and Brewery obviously by the name…duh!  I order the frozen peach, got asked for my card, turned redder than a tomato, handed her my card, and was wished a happy birthday….all while my mom sat with her phone inches from my face to get a picture.  But, all that was worth it because the drink was delicious!!! And!!!! I even got a FREE, bet dad enjoyed that, FREE pizookie. 

We left and went to get pampered at our usual nail salon with manicures and pedicures.  Apparently so did the rest of the world because there was an hour wait and no seats open in a very fumy salon.  We opted to go across the street to another salon where Madre and Padre got pedicures and I got a manicure…there isn’t anything better than getting my nails cleaned up and painted my favorite dark Siberian Nights.  To round off the afternoon, we finished with some Gossip Girl (thank Wendi for getting us all addicted) and making DUCK!!!!! Yes, I made my own dinner....but I demanded they let me do it! In retaliation she stuck 21 candles into my birthday cupcake! J 

Ok, first of all, you should note that if you want to make this recipe that duck is a rare find.  Madre ended up finding the nicest guy to attend to our needs at a whole foods store.  The guy even gave us a bottle of sparkling water FREE because it was my birthday…how sweet!  Anyways, it is seared duck with a orange-cranberry gastrique.  You want to make this when it is cranberry season, which I didn’t because I’m complicated.  

Here's what you'll need:
1 cup cranberries                                     1 cup orange juice
1 bay leaf                                              4 boneless, skin on duck 
1 tbsp butter                                             breast
salt/pepper                                             1/3 cup sugar
1-2 tbsp oil                                             1 tbsp sherry or red 
                                                               wine vinegar

Here are some general rules to note in my experience of the recipe:
  1. I used raspberries in place of cranberries since it is not cranberry season.  But, beware that the raspberries break down and make the sauce runnier.  Choose a fruit that has more substance and can keep whole when heat is added.
  2. Since I used raspberries, I added more cooking wine to give the sauce more acidity.  Raspberries are sweet and you want to balance the gastrique.
  3. If using a sweeter fruit like raspberries, try using less sugar since raspberries have a natural sweetness to them plain.
  4. Do not overcook the duck because it will become tough to chew.  The 20 mins recommended to cook will be medium-rare and perfectly done.  It should be about 125-130 degrees F.
  5. When cooking the duck, frequently dump the fat juices from the pan to allow a more even and better cooking of the meat.
  6. Let the duck sit on absorbent paper before presenting nicely to guests because it will leak a little redness that might freak some people out when eating. 
Well, there you have it folks.  Go to your adventurous side and have fun making your own adjustments to this recipe.  If you’re super thrilled with it, I suggest buying Ruhlman’s Twenty and reading the interesting and thrilling ideas he has about cooking. J

No comments:

Post a Comment