Saturday, January 12, 2013

Spanakopitawhat?!


Don’t get attached to these daily little tasting with the semester literally around the corner.  And I swear I am not a fatty hahah J Being another lazy day with everyone on campus coming back into the dorms I decided not to brave out into the open but cook instead.  Boy was that the best decision ever.  I tried this new recipe: broccoli spanakopita.

Now, I don’t even know how to pronounce the spanakopita nor had I ever heard of it before.  The main ingredient I had to search for aimlessly in the grocery store.  Filo dough is the crispy outer shell that the broccoli is filled into.  FYI—it’s found in the frozen bread section next to pastry puffs (thanks mom J).  This dough is very, very, very thin so be careful handling it when cooking.  Also, keep the unused sheets in the freezer so they keep longer.  Set the package or sheets that you want to use in the refrigerated at least 24 hours before hand, then before stuffing them set it on the counter covered in a wet towel.

Apparently, spanakopita is an actual food item because there is a spinach recipe on the back of the filo dough package.  Who would have thought, but I think I’m attracted to words I can’t pronounce because they sound more fun.  Oh, and this little recipe Gordon Ramsey and Top Chef would approve.
 








Here are some things to note about making these yummy treats:
  1. Chopping the broccoli can get messy because all the little green pieces go flying, but unless you like huge chunks :P then it is necessary to chop them small.
  2. You can replace the dish with any kind of cheese.  I used Parmesan because I already had it in the fridge and didn't want to buy a whole package of feta.
  3. Make sure to spread the broccoli mixture long when stuffing because when folding the dough if not spread it can become heavy and break.
  4. Roll the dough tightly as possible without break it and beware there is flour on them so don’t touch anything dark hahaha
  5. Use butter to your discretion.  I did not use the allotted amount; however make note that it will make the dough a little softer and tastier.  On the other hand, I liked them just as I made them.
  6. Make them and eat them relatively the same day because they don’t refrigerate the best…they’d make great appetizers if you cut the dough in half and filled them less to make 20 instead of 10 J (just alter the cooking times)
The great thing about this recipe is there are so many things that you can changed based on preferences.  The stuffing is the easiest thing to change based on what you have on hand.  This is one recipe that you can mess up and still have yummy results.  So, go and experiment with this recipe; find stuffing that you enjoy; make a party out of it because your friends and family will not get enough!

1 comment:

  1. these look yummy you will have to make them for you 1 aunt when I come to visit!

    ReplyDelete