Friday, January 11, 2013

The Mess About Gnocchi


This recipe is not for the weak at heart or the super clean freaks.  Be warned that it gets very messy which only goes so much better with blaring Mumford & Sons on Pandora. J Michael Ruhlman brought up a good point in his twenty rules by summarizing how cooking can be a way to empty your mind.  I guess this is why I love to cook when I am bored or annoyed because it gives my mind something else to focus on. 

Mise en place literally means “put in place” or “organize and prepare.”  A mandate in the ethos of mise en place is to remove obstacles in your way, not only the junk on the counter that isn't necessary while cooking but the many thoughts that continuously popup in your mind.  In a way you could say cooking is like yoga for the hungry…haha J

So, this attempt is at making gnocchi.  These little potato bites are not only delicious, but I smile every time I eat one because I know the hard work that literally went into making them.  From the stickiness of the dough all over my hands to Macaroni looking at me like a crazy person because flour is literally everywhere, it is an interesting experiment…hahaha.
 
Again, I don’t think it was a total success, but a very good first attempt.  Although, it would not have made me win Top Chef, I’ll still enjoy them and keep these changes in mind for next go around.
  1. The recipe makes quite a bit of gnocchi which you can freeze as dough and then boil later, but for those of you brave enough to try it I’d suggest halving it.
  2. The mashing of the potatoes is important.  If you’re like me, mashing them by hand, then you’ll just have to deal.  But, next time I’d blend or food process them to create a smooth and creamy texture.
  3. Flour is key!!!! Use as little flour as possible in the dough because too much flour makes the dough too soft.  Plus, flour gets added when rolling the dough into rolls.
  4. Don’t overcook or under-cook the pasta.  This is where I struggle because the size of the gnocchi can sometimes vary making the cooking time temperamental; ergo, try to keep them all the same size and taste testing along the way J 
 Now, fly my minions fly :P  Not only is cooking great to heat the apartment, but it fills your tummy as well.  YUM!!!! Let me know if you find any other helpful hints and I encourage you to try this recipe out.  These little fluffy potato noodles are yummier than those you’ll get at a grocery store and healthier than those at Olive Garden. BON APPÉTIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment