Sunday, February 10, 2013

Snow Crab


Well, although it wasn't snow crab we had, if you mix the snow we accumulated today along with the delicious crab cakes I made for dinner it’s a perfect combination. Saying we got a little bit of snow might be an understatement because there were several times today where I felt like someone kept tilting and shaking a snow globe hahahhaah….

Since my momma was here dropping off my valentine, Macaroni J, we had an adventurous day.  We stopped at Best Buy to pick up my first big girl purchase of a MacBook Pro…but we’re going to have to make a pit stop tomorrow because my password seems to not be working…great L! Then we went downtown which was crowded with people for the Dew at DowntownFlagstaff (good thing it snowed).  They made the whole hill on San Francisco Street for snowboarders and skiers to ride down as a competition.  Of course, Madre stopped by some vendors who gave free baggies full of goodies.  We grabbed lunch at Mix—yummy as always—before going home to the puppies.  OH! We cannot forget that we made a target stop, such a dangerous store.

We came home; we suited up; we grabbed the puppies.  Since it was a Sunday, we decided to let the puppies go for a free run.  They loved it!!! Zoe was hilarious because the snow was all the way up past her belly.  She basically had to hop instead of run and Macaroni ran around like the crazy noodle he is.  Before they left the park they kept digging their noses into the snow almost like they were shoveling. 

For dinner I made baked corn and crab cakes.  They were pretty simple to make and super yummy to eat.  While the snow piled and piled outside, we kept warm by cooking and cooking inside J. Here are some notes to consider when making this dish:
  1. We used prepackaged crab (was still delicious) because they only have crab legs at the grocery store which have the added time and utensils for cracking them and getting the meat out.
  2. Keep in mind that this dish takes an hour to sit chilled as a patty.
  3. I used light Activia yogurt as my fat free yogurt which made the patties harder to stay together.
  4. Next time I would suggest using Greek yogurt in place of the fat free yogurt and mayonnaise (I’m not a huge fan of mayonnaise).
  5. Using a sweet corn that is fresh from the farmer’s market would be ideal for the corn.
  6. I didn’t have shallots so I replaced it with onion and garlic mixture of my own.
  7. I used an orange pepper because they are sweeter and I enjoy them more than the red pepper.
  8. This recipe makes 8 fairly large and filling patties, but if having leftovers make sure you eat them within 2 days of making them.
  9. Baking them was the most difficult because they didn't stay together as well as I had hoped.  For the elevation factor, they also took longer to cook on each side, so keep an eye out.
All in all, they were pretty yummy and something I would suggest making.  Let me know if you find any special suggestions when attempting this recipe.  Enjoy the snow, sunshine, or whatever weather comes your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment