Sunday, April 14, 2013

Not Your Average Pancake



After a day of photos and puppy loving, my sidekick was a little sleepy.  He watched me from the couch eyes closed and sniffer moving.  I tend to believe that he was dreaming about my veggie pancakes. J

When we think of a pancake, we think of a light and fluffy circular bread.  However, this recipe offers a new version on the idea of pancake.  I used a recipe out of my Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook.  It offers a veggie pancake, but in my book it is more of a hash.

The recipe calls for 3 small Idaho potatoes, 1 medium parsnip, ½ carrot, 1 large egg, 2 tbsp flour, salt, ¼ tsp baking powder, and 2 tsp olive oil.  It will make about 4 servings.  For more nutritional information you can check out the book.

Here are some helpful tips when preparing 
this recipe:
1.     If you don’t have a shredder, then you can add the ingredients into a food processor.
2.     You can either make 1 large pancake or individual pancakes.  Just be ware that the cooking times will differ between the two.
3.     I nixed the oil and replaced it with just spraying the skillet with pam.
4.     I used about 1 potato because I didn’t want to waste all the other potatoes that you get in an Idaho bunch.
5.     I used about ½ a parsnip instead of a whole one.

This potato pancake can go well as a side with chicken or fish.  Just make sure to have a sauce accommodating the dish or it will make your mouth drier.  Check out some of these sauce recipes I’ve created for a quick option: http://caitpustelak1.blogspot.com/2013/04/1-sauce-endless-possibilities.html

So, go enjoy the yumminess of a healthy pancake or hash.  This easy recipe works well as a breakfast or main side dish.  Leave comments with ways you have made your meals healthier below.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment