Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Don't SQUASH this SPAGHETTI



I rarely get in the mood for pasta, but when I do I want it all: the noodles, the sauce, and the meat.  But, I’m working on a healthier diet that cuts a lot of carbohydrates from grains and focuses more on vegetables.  It can be a sad day when you’re craving pasta; however, you can’t have it. L 

Now, that is not a problem.  I decided to venture out and try some new substitutions to work with this diet and make it stick.  I’m on a roll!  I decided to make low-carbspaghetti squash.  It was simple to make just took some time to cook the squash. 

Here are some helpful tips for when you attempt this recipe:
1.     I used a squirt bottle for the olive oil that way I wouldn’t use as much.
2.     Make sure to take out the seeds and the gunk that they are attached to.  Clean the seeds like you would a pumpkin.
3.     Give the squash time to cook thoroughly.  Don’t rush it because giving it time will give you more squash! YUM!
4.     Just for the squash to get your makeshift spaghetti. It’s that simple!
5.     I cooked my turkey but you could use any kind of meat.
6.     I used regular spaghetti sauce rather than doing the sauce recipe provided.  That way you aren’t wasting ingredients and I was more focused on getting the squash done right.

There are enormous amounts of idea that you can get from using spaghetti squash.  Now, you can substitute that heavy pasta for some lighter, healthier squash.  I know that squash sounds iffy because I was on the fence.  On the other hand, I’ve been transformed into a squash lover and won’t be turning back. J

No comments:

Post a Comment