Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Sweet Soup: Potato Style


For a cold winter day or just a healthy soup calling your name, turn to this sweet potato and lentil bisque.  I found this recipe a long time ago while Stumbleupon was still a popular thing to waste time with.  I’ve made it before, but I never took any notes on how to make it better.  So, now I’ll have a tip list to reference back to.

It’s the summer, which means there will be plenty of delicious meals to try.  For some reason, I came home to an empty fridge, but I’ll leave with it being full.  I am definitely earning my room and board while I’m home. J

This recipe is a great opportunity to make something scrumptious without a lot of effort.  Doubling the recipe, like I did, will serve great for a dinner party.  A regular amount makes a good, filling, six portions.  Sneak some delicious vegetables inside the mix to serve to a picky eater.

 

Here are some tips to keep in mind:
1.     We nixed the dried apricots, but using them would give it a more complex flavor profile and would be a great add in the fall.
2.     You can use white or red lentils.  The red lentils will give the soup a more vibrant red color.
3.     We nixed the red chili paste.  Personally, I don’t like spicy food; however, you could add as much as you see fit to test your palate.
4.     Again, we didn’t use cilantro or pomegranate because they were more for garnish and I’m not a huge fan of those flavors.
5.     This soup is sweet enough with the red sweet potatoes; so do not replace it with white sweet potatoes because they are too sweet.
6.     If the soup is too sweet with these potatoes, you can use yams.
7.     Make sure to mix the coconut milk 
     before using it because it can separate.
8.     Make sure your cuts are even enough to cook everything thoroughly, but don’t 
     fret because everything goes in the food processor anyways.
 9.   Food process the soup to your desired thickness and chunkiness.


A recipe like this allows for you to multitask doing something else while cooking it.  If you don’t want to use the stove, you could use a slow cooker and not worry about the stove being on.  Try this recipe for a dinner party and impress your guests without killing yourself. J

Check back next Wednesday for another yummy recipe.  Leave a comment below about your helpful tips and adjustments.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment