Wednesday, June 20, 2012

All About Altea


I woke up this morning, to rain and wind…the wind was howling like never before, creating a massive gust throughout the house that caused doors to slam…after it quieted down, I easily fell back asleep and slept in for once which was nice J tomorrow it will be back to regular school hours…today we are taking a trip to Altea which means that we are not meeting until 11am and no boring classroom work J

I got up finished writing my presentation out on cards so now all I have to do is practice them…no more HW! J Then, I ate breakfast (cheerios and milk), packed my lunch (chicken sandwich with spinach and avocado and an apple and mini peach), and relaxed before leaving early to catch the tram at the station.
Once on the tram, we had a hour long journey to Altea.  When we were entering Altea, it was like what I pictured Greece to look like.  It had several steps to get to one place to another and the buildings were white plaster with red tiles.  The best part was it was a city that curved around the ocean and laid along the mountain.  We decided to head straight up thousands of stairs (got my workout in) and saw some amazing views of the ocean below along with the mountains surrounding the city.  It was my piece of heaven right on the beach and would have beat Granada had it not been so hot…the stairs made me think that if I lived there I would be in awesome shape J….when we made it to the top after a few breaks for pictures and catch our breath we saw the church.  The church was so pretty and again from the outside it was plain and simple along with the small size; however, from the inside it was a huge artist’s canvas.  It was white with gold trims and a large, dome ceiling.  It was grandiose, but elegant and not overstated at least considering the other churches we had scene.  The area surrounding the church was a plaza full of chatting people (they were speaking English and probably thought I was a stalker and weirdo because I was drooling over their accents J)…off to the left was a cliff side that showed the city and ocean below.  It was a stunning view that, like the Grand Canyon, never would get old.


I walked around for a bit and stopped at a hotspot plaza for ice cream.  After staring at them for a while, I decided on just plain old vanilla.  But unlike American vanilla, this vanilla was delicious and you could taste the freshness.  Then, I went to the beach side and sat along the rocks that broke the waves and remembered the time in San Sebastian after a storm that my sister, JP, and I spent the whole afternoon enjoying the massive waves overtake the shore.  The shore today was peaceful and constant.  The thundering of the waves gave a hum to the city and took my mind off of all the things that were buzzing a million miles a minute.  After waiting for everyone else to eat lunch, we headed back to the tram and took the hour long journey back to Alicante.  If only I had more time, I would spend a good weekend down in Altea because it was so calming and the British version of Spain which was an interesting twist. 

Back in Alicante, I took to the beach and talk to Madre who gave me updates on the commotion back home.  It was such an awesome feeling to be sitting along the beach in Spain while talking to Madre back home…something I could definitely get used to J  I then came back and took a quick shower, watched some television (in English and Spanish) and made dinner (macaroni and white cheese…enough for another meal or two).  After a long day and being in the sun so long and having to get into the habit of school again for the next two days, I am calling it a night. 

The wind seems to be calm today after making massive waves along the coast…like me it is out of energizing bunny juice…tomorrow will be here before you know it and I plan on capturing the most sleep that I can get before then…Hasta manana…

No comments:

Post a Comment