Wednesday, June 20, 2012

How to Spend Your Father's Day


Well after a late night of turtle slow updating of pictures (sucking in all the FREE wifi I can get!!!), my alarm went off bright and early this morning…830am came quicker than I hoped.  I got dressed and finished packing my bags before heading downstairs for breakfast…I couldn’t resist having the chocolate puffed cereal and pineapple this morning since I don’t get it any other time J I might have to bring some home in my suitcase hahahah J…After breakfast, I chatted with Madre for a bit and scheduled a time to talk to Padre for Father’s day later my time and early theirs…9 hour time difference can really complicate talking times hahah J…Then, it was time to say goodbye to air-conditioned rooms and the hotel we called home for 3 days and pack into our large bus.  Getting on the bus was interesting because a tour bus was in front of ours, then you had our bus, and then you had another bus trying to fit between the busses and cars parked along the side (I give brownie points to European drivers on these narrow small streets I know if I was driving I would have killed about 20 or more people already and have nicked a few cars and other items).

Once on the bus, we buckled up and headed to see the La Alhambra.  It is the citadel of the last Moorish kingdom in Spain.  It includes the Alcazaba (fort and military barracks), the Generalife (summer gardens for afternoon outings), the Palacio Nazari (the private residence of the Nazari dynasty), and the Palacio Carlos IV (a Renaissance structure built by the grandson of Ferdinand and Isabella as a homage to the reconquest).  Let’s say I have had ever seen a more elegant, ornate, gorgeous, mind blowing castle than La Alhambra I wouldn’t be impressed….but I was IMPRESSED!!!...Oh my, every turn into another room left my jaw open even wider.  Right when you thought that you had seen the best room, the next room was a billion times better.  Each room was sculpted floor to ceiling with intricate designs.  Even the ceilings were built with wood that was either embedded with gold or had been carved out.  My finger was trigger happy for the camera and my eyes were wider than saucers.  I cannot not say that any other place has left me more speechless than Granada (if you ever come to Spain it’s a huge must see)…we went to the military barracks at which was at the very top of all Granada giving you a 360 view of the city and mountains everywhere…like the actual palace wasn’t enough…the stairs to get to the military barracks reminded me of the ones going up the Notre Dame (steep, curved, very large, and no head room, not like that mattered to me).  From the top of the military barracks you had the 360 degree view of the whole city and we could even spot where Ivy and I had eaten dinner at last night J (I am still craving another 15 servings of that cheese and drink!)  From the military barracks we took a tour throughout the castle which the pictures cannot even explain the glory of it all and the magnificent time that went into decorating it, although you could tell that the Arab culture had a huge influence on the construction as well as the name.













Next, you strolled through the gardens that surround the palace and separate the palace from the summer home which was just as stunning with the white plaster walls and red tiled roof.  The entrance was beautiful garden and the rooms were just as decorative.  The main separating feature was the garden on the summer home was stunning with large bushes creating a maze and fountains covering the center leading to the house.  From the side of the summer home you could see that palace side and the city in a panoramic view.  The castle had made me feel like I had fallen into Alice in Wonderland and the summer home completed that thought with all the roses and bushes that were…eh, eh, (elbow and eyebrow raise) RED!...hahaha J….sadly my camera died at this point so the 58 picture I took prior are all that I have to show beside the images in my head J which will never leave me…Granada was seriously my slice of heaven…then when leaving the summer home you walk through more gardens and a shaded tunnel of roses and trees that would have made great pictures for someone to take engagement shots or of a couple holding hands (mastermind at work here hahaha).  Finally, it was the end of the tour that took about roughly 3 hours and I could have spent all day had it not been blisteringly hot outside (luckily I had my fan that I purchased yesterday to help cool me down a bit).  I headed up to the hotel where we were to eat lunch to enjoy some air conditioning and get myself out of the sun before I burnt to a crisp.  It’s a good thing I have been tanning outside or else I’d be a fried lobster J…we ate lunch at the hotel that was a branch from ours and where the other half of our group had stayed (lucky dogs)…they’re array of food had the same options as ours but it also had cheese with olive oil (of course I ate it), mussels (of course!), couscous (of course!!!), and other things that made it a little more fancy that ours had been which the people staying there must have been paying more considering they were within walking distance of the castle…stuffed and full ready for a nap we took to the bus and it got quiet real fast as everyone fell asleep.

We were awaken only by a sudden heat wave as the bus stopped and opened the doors.  We had officially arrived at the Gaudix.  They are a small community where many of the residents still live in caves that have been adapted to modern living with electricity, running water, gas, and electric.  It was interesting to see that the carbon monoxide poisoning detection were birds in cages.  I guess because they have smaller lungs that when they stop chirping you know to get out (which is cruel, but I guess I wouldn’t want to die either).  Stepping off the bus was like stepping into a boiling pot.  It was literally 115 degrees and that was a “cool” day for them.  The fan did little help but move warm air onto your face and the whiteness of the houses just made it even brighter and warmer.  We walked up the steps to get a 360 degree view of the community which was tucked into little nooks of caves and one would not notice that they were houses except for the wooden doors that give them away.  After taking a view, we stepped into the cave which was NOT, I repeat, NOT air conditioned, yet it felt like a comfortable 60 degrees.  It was fascinating to see the difference between the outside and inside and the house looked just like any apartment in Spain just inside of a hill and more eco friendly.  I guess we should start building in hillsides.  We then ended our tour and hopped back onto the bus heading for Alicante—home away from home.

Fourish hours later, we got off the bus and headed for the tram to go home.  We had to pass through a massive crowd of people dressed in various costumes and walking around the plaza.  The festival that will be week long and you will be provided pictures of has officially started…its time to party, have no sleep, set of fireworks, and dress in costumes J The festival will last until the end of this coming weekend with breaks only during the day and going all night long.  Throughout the festival there will be sculptures around Alicante that will be on display and the last night as a political demonstration they set them on fire (how they don’t catch the whole city on fire I have no clue)…but it’ll be an interesting week by far.

After making our way through the crowd, we hopped on the tram, got home, took a shower, unpacked (realizing that I had left my converter in the hotel L…no bueno), and talked to Padre to wish him a happy Father’s day J….so happy Father’s day to all the dads or soon to be dads reading this J…yeah puppy dads work too… 
The wind is sticky with the humidity that Granada was missing and trust me it hits you hard when you come back hahah…I’ll be heading to bed soon, hoping to get as much sleep as possible before the festival deprives me of it.  It’ll be a day full of homework tomorrow since our teacher’s canceled classes (YAY! J) and I’ll be heading to the central market in town to check it out…Alicante might be glad to have me back, but I sure do miss Granada already…

No comments:

Post a Comment