Monday, June 4, 2012

Let's Get Lost Together


The greatest part of being somewhere new is never knowing what you’ll run into, the sites you’ll see, or the people you’ll meet…after tucking into bed and setting the fan on me last night J I woke up to a little storm this morning.  It was a nice way to cool off the morning and seeing the lightening over the water while eating coconut flavored activia with cherrio granola just made my morning oh so eventful…it was calm and peaceful…after breakfast I got up and put on an outfit, ran a brush through my hair, and headed out with Ivy and Sam (my roommates) to venture into the town

We packed a map but did not even use it…the city is actually a lot easier to navigate than we presumed…we headed to the beach which is literally 5 minutes walk J and walked along the shoreline over to the dock a few miles down…we then decided our next destination was to find wifi…pronounced wee-fee…somewhere close by that we could easily sip a coffee and talk to our loved ones without such a hefty price of the cell phone…we stumbled into this grand market hidden behind seaside restaurants…they have meats, cheese, spices, baskets, candles…all of it is enticing and collective (I could spend all day walking around the back streets…my Spanish wasn’t too bad either (it seems that when I don’t think so hard about it I can ask questions or converse a little easier)…on our way back we easily found our street and decided to drink some coffee and enjoy some wifi at a little café seated up on the hill overlooking the beach….next time I’m there I’ll take a web shot and you’ll be jealous of the view I have with my morning drink or afternoon walk…

We came back to our apartment to settle down and meet up with the group who had been sleeping along with my 3rd roommate Alyssa and make a quick lunch before heading back out to the market which was just opening when we passed it…

I’ve decided that taking a shower at night is again the easiest with 3 other girls which means I can sleep in a little plus the humidity here gives me some major curls along the frame of my face so let’s cancel any plans I had of straightening my hair (beach look it is…hahaha)…the menu for today a sandwich and apple made by yours truly!

We got back to the apartment just in time as Alyssa woke up…we all finished freshening up and then headed back over there to get our shopping groove on…we are excited that we stumbled upon this find because it takes up streets in size and is only open for this one last day…with all of our good finds we have been pretty happy girls and our Spanish is improving as we hit the streets…I did find one special item that I cannot disclose because it’s for Madre and it screams Spain J…at 3pm they closed down for 2 hours for a siesta and we took our time walking back, eating lunch, and freshening up…I even got a nap in since I’ve been lacking in sleep to get everything accomplished…at 5 we headed back down the streets in order to finish up on shops we didn’t yet get to check out…they have various flags strung along the streets to emphasize what type of materials they sell from Egyptian, Indian, to foods, cadies, and spices they have truly unique items that made this treasure a splendid find…

We ate dinner (a baguette layered with Spanish tortillas which are a potato, brie, and a sweet tomato sauce that tasted like honey and jam…needless to say it was yummy)…we watched a performer take to the streets followed by a few other acts that consisted of music and dancing with drums…it was a happening place tonight…the streets have been easy to navigate and I came back and took a quick shower to freshen up, cut some juicy mango for the morning, chatted with Madre and Padre, and am soon heading to bed…we have our first day of classes which consist of tours of Alicante and the Universidad…now the fun really begins J

Us girls have really had a blast getting lost in the city and we’ve smiled, laughed, and had a great time…I couldn’t have asked for better roommates and I’m glad they enjoy doing the unordinary things in life and immersing ourselves into the Spanish culture…we take the saying of “When in Spain do as the Spaniards” to heart
Complete and Satisfied…it’s only been a day and it feels good to know that I can feel comfortable here…the slight breeze makes for a cool effect as you walk through the streets…it blew us to a few of the hidden treasures of Alicante…I agree that sometimes things aren’t planned; they happen for a reason…the best way to understand the streets of a city are to just close your eyes and get lost in it’s heart…so sit back, buckle in, and get ready for the ride of a lifetime J

No comments:

Post a Comment