Monday, June 11, 2012

Back to the Grind


I woke up bright and early to a quiet house…everyone was sound asleep from our exciting adventures this past weekend, so I tip toed to the kitchen and ate my coconut flavored activia and a ripe peach grabbed my book bag and headed to the Universidad…
When I arrived, I had to sit outside and wait for the doors to open and met a guy named Chris (what a coincidence) that is here for 6 weeks along with his classmates and he remembered us from when we came the first week and were speaking English…it comes to say that when you hear someone speaking English while abroad you automatically feel connected because you can understand them and you also are super shocked because you weren’t expecting it hahaha J

Now, it’s the start of a full week of classes and homework again…Booo! Sometimes I wish I could just be rich and travel without the need for classes hahaha, but then again I’m an overachiever so we all know that wouldn’t happen hahah J

So class one our social work class was interesting considering that I have never taken a class like this…so we started with the qualities of social workers…empathy, genuine, flexibility, setting boundaries, engage in various roles, understanding that the idea that “normal” is a contrived concept, leave work behind, humor in the little things, permission to make mistakes, and believing in the possibility of change….out of all of these and the definitions she gave us as to how they work in the field I would FAIL miserably….hahhaa I am too much of a black and white, independent, tell you how it truly is kind of person…then we got into a heated discussion about spanking which we ended on the terms of no definite majority agreement…don’t get me started…I guess with working with social workers I should have understood that their ideas of abuse would be different than mine…by the way did you know that there are spanking laws in various states: note to self check those out before I have kids hahahahah J

After classes, we stopped down the street from our apartment to enjoy some paella for lunch…it was so delicious we had the choice of what type and decided collectively to have calamari…for those of you who are unfamiliar with paella it is a Spanish dish cooked in a large pan that is usually thinner about the size of a skillet if not less…it is a rice based meal that is then cooked in the various toppings of meat and the broth of that meat…so nevertheless it was YUM! I even have leftovers for tomorrow because you fill up easily from the meal so you don’t eat as much

I then took a siesta by shutting my eyes and drifting away...I did some homework left and got ahead, went to the supermercado with Ivy to grab a few last minute items, showered, and hopped in bed sleeping until it was time for class the next morning J

With it being this hot today, I wished the breeze was a little stronger although I created a fake breeze with my 12 euro fan J…Paella was filling and class was exhausting leading to one great night’s sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment