Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Got My Toes in the Sand...


First school day, first tour, first day of reality, first day I feel totally rejuvenated…we woke up again this morning to a humid air…my eyes popped open and the first thing I did was walk to my window and look out to the ocean (I cannot get tired of that)…I then ate my macadamia nut activia (they have so many flavors here I’ll be trying new ones all the time) and added the sliced up mango I had prepared last night…then I got dressed and relaxed with my book on the back patio watching dark clouds roll by and waiting for the rest of the group to finish up before we head out on our tour of Alicante and our first day of school (technically speaking although we aren’t really in the classroom as of yet)…

We met up with the group and took a slight tour of the city just getting a gist of where we are and some hot spot places that we can check out the night life and food that’s been recommended.  Next, we took to the school which can be accessed many ways: by tram, by inside streets, or along the coast…of course my style of choice is along the coast because how many times in Az do you get to walk by the ocean on your morning walk?! After going to the school and getting a brief run down of how things work here and how the trips we take to Granada and Barcelona work we left the Universidad and went to a phone charging place where you can add minutes to your phone in order to make calls and send text…we then passed some shopping areas and saw a great central market that we can shop at until 2pm when it closes for fruit, veggies, spices, and other local ingredients…we dinned at an Italian based restaurant that serves enough food portions to feed an African family...ergo I have leftovers J…I opted on choosing my pasta and sauce although the choices weren’t narrowed enough so I’ll have to make that a routine stop for food (hahahaha)…anyways, I chose a linguine-like noodle with froi gras and mushroom cream sauce (SUPER YUM!)….then I hurried back (alone…yes, mom I walked by myself J) to the apartment to grab my computer and go to the café for internet…I asked the mom who works the shop for a coffee and internet password which I got and then sat down to have a date with my mom J

She got a full skype session that included a view I have from the café which is the beach of course and we chit chatted about what I’ve been doing and how I was and the little things here and there…it was nice to finally see a face opposed to just a voice in my ear…after a while of talking (after which I realized next time I’ll bring my earphones so not everyone can hear my conversation…not like I even know if they can understand me or my hand gestures hahah)…I walked back along the coast to our apartment and read some of the books we need for class and waited for Ivy and Sam to return back from the beach (which I have been informed is most definitely topless)…

…While waiting, Cynthia our host for school came by and gave us a short lesson on how to wash clothes and since Ivy is the first to wash clothes we now know it literally takes all day for them to wash hahahah…when Ivy and Sam came back we headed to the supermarket ready to shop…we had a mishap though and had to take turns because something different happened since the last time we went to the supermarcado on Sunday since they wouldn’t allow me to take my suitcase in to carry my groceries back…BOOO!

Of course, since we had to split up so that one person was outside at all times with the suitcase we forgot practically everything we needed to have gotten…isn’t that how it always works…I guess my theory of walking up and down the isles really doesn’t work hahaha…after our little trip we made dinner (a bowl of cherrios, milk, and a chocolate rice cake), took a quick clean up shower, and finished reading the rest of my book for Thursday (I know such an over achiever…I must be my mother’s daughter)

Now the sun has sent, the wind has cooled, and I’ve gotten ready to snuggle in my bed before having to wake up earlier…I plan to wake up and get to the school early to post blogs and chat with everyone before classes start…we get 2 free hours of wifi a day and I plan to take full advantage of FREE (now I must be my FATHER’S daughter hahaha)…

The wind will be blowing in my hair tomorrow as I walk along the coast to school…Only day two and it feels like I’ve been here for longer…we’ve implemented a new rule in our apartment…Spanish only so that we can become better at holding conversations…I guess our conversations will be pretty short then hahahahahha…so long and Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment